Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Books I am reading

I am in the middle of reading too many books but happy that at least I am really loving each one. I don't like dividing my mind between so many thoughts but I suppose I won't explode.

1. Reading Between the Lines by Gene Edward Veith Jr.- this is a guide to how Christians should view literature and some examples of great authors in a christian tradition. This is terrific! A very thoughtful look at what you are reading without a foolish fear of fiction or portrayal of sin. Flannery O'Conner and Annie Dillard are some of the featured writers. I am really excited about getting his book about art, The State of the Arts.

2.Clouds of Witness by Dorothy Sayers-In light of reading about good fiction I am enjoying this fun mystery.I love Dorothy Sayers.

3. Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning by Douglas Wilson- I have been meaning to read this for years but just now finally got my hands on a copy. ( I would like to interject here that is is wicked to highlight a book in bright pink. Your books will be passed on to another some day so don't be so cruel.) This is a great read about how to think about the education of your children and the serious troubles in public school.

4.The Cat of the Bubastes by G.A. Henty- I started reading this one to the kids. It is a historical adventure story set in the Egyptian time period. Joffre Jr was enthralled because the beginning is a battle. He was much less excited when we read The Secret Garden. Renata is quite the opposite.

No comments: