Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Reviving Chairs for the Porch




Our porch chairs were cute once a long time ago but are now poking and showing their stuffing immodestly. So I decided to try to revive their lost souls with cherry patterned oilcloth. They are very sturdy so I didn't want to get rid of them.

To do it I cut a pattern out of craft paper till it seemed like it would fit and cut out a piece. (This is the hardest part and I did it with a decent loss of material  as I folded and tried and cut and tried again.)  Then for the bottom part I folded corners and started stapling one side of each corner to the bottom. Then I stapled the middle of each side , slowly rotating after each staple to a new side. I worked from the middle out to the corners and pulling tightly for each staple. At the other side of each corner I folded again and stapled (this is the other tricky part.) It's like stretching a canvas if you have ever done that.

For the top part I traced the outline of the shape on craft paper and added a seam allowance of 1/2". Then made two pieces for each chair. Sewed them together right sides together and clipped with triangles along curves. Turned them inside out and slipped them over the top. That was it. The top was super easy.

No comments: