Thursday, October 11, 2007

Rapunzel, Rapunzel Let Down Your Hair


Here's an illustration of Rapunzel I'm working on. Does anyone remember off the top of their head if what color her hair was in the story. I made it blond/gold in the mural but I like this brunette better. I had a terrible/ unsuccessful time finding the story at the library. I probably was just too distracted by the kids. I don't really care, artistic license and all that but was curious if I was getting it mixed up with Rumpelstilskin. This is oil pastel on craft paper about 12"x24". (I have a really bad habit of just drawing on this paper in odd sizes and not squared edges. Not smart when you are thinking about reproducing).

Guess who modeled for the knight? I had to trim the shoulders and scale him down so it didn't look like he was a giant dragging her out of the window instead of climbing. He hasn't started up the hair so I could do that romantic hair blowing in the wind thingy.
Trina Schart Hyman is so awesome at this sort of illustration. Her Snow White is my favorite.

2 comments:

fosterheartsathome said...

I think you should make her hair black...in keeping with "my prince joffre" theme! :)
Karla

Valerie (Kyriosity) said...

"Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your golden hair."

OR

"Rapunzel, Rapunzel Let down your hair
That I may climb the golden stair."

So yeah...blonde's the way to go...at least in respect to the versions I recall.

'Tis lovely, though. If you ever decide that sketch needs a new home, I'd be happy to adopt it!