Sunday, August 5, 2007

Good Eats


I know I am behind the times but I finally watched the show Good Eats from the Food Network. My husband and sister-in-law love this show and I really liked it myself. I don't like to cook but I like good food so I work on being a good cook. I love when I've done something a million times and can mindlessly cook. I like putting my mind to asthetics- art related stuff, decorating, etc. I even like cleaning better than cooking because it makes my house look good. I even think about my gardening this way. I like the garden to look good and pest and diseases make the plants look bad. I'm a bit unbalanced towards the visual side of life. Anyway, I digress. Good Eats is such a great show. Alton Brown is funny and likes good food but is very reasonable about what equipment you have on hand and costs. He tells you history and fun facts about all kinds of things in the show.

My mother-in -law was known for her great hospitality, foremost her cooking. She loved to cook and made it look so easy. People loved to come to her table and I want to emulate this aspect of her.She taught me most of my cooking skills but I still stress about it. I am formulating a plan to be a better cook without hating the process. First I am going to watch a lot of Good Eats. Next I am going to try out a the same cut of meat once a week for a month. (I think getting the meat really tasty is the trickiest part. So meat is my priority.) Lastly I am going to start having people over a least once a week consistently. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Alaina said...

This is a good goal! I'm sure you'll learn quickly. And since you are visually-minded, you'll always be good at the presentation of the meal, which is important too!

Kimberly said...

I actually have more fun setting the table than making the food when I prepare a meal for company.